FOR EMPTY NEST MUMS:
- Anything luxurious and totally indulgent is perfect - a big bunch of beautiful flowers, a bottle of champagne.
- Her favourite perfume.
- A gift voucher for a massage or manicure.
- Nail polish.
- Silk underwear.
- Music to dance to
- A great empty nester novel like Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout (also on DVD) or Joanna Trollope's Second Honeymoon.
FOR EMPTY NEST DADS AND MUMS:
- A gift voucher to try something new - a riding lesson? a writing course? Dancing lessons? An activity to do together? Empty nesters are keen to try new activities - but they often appreciate a nudge in the right direction. So a book or voucher are great ideas. Organisations like Creative Breaks have Christmas vouchers for a variety of courses.
- An inspiring travel guide, like Lonely Planet's Ultimate Travelist
- 'Mamma Mia' on DVD - OK it's a cheesy old chestnut but it's very cathartic. Grown men weep when Meryl sings 'Slipping through my fingers' to her departing daughter.
- Two photograph albums - one for nostalgic family pics, the other for the adventures ahead. Shepherds near Victoria station in London has many beautiful ones
- DON'T BUY......
- Anything too worthy or too useful
- Shapeless fleecy PJs or slippers shaped like bunnies.
- Oven gloves. A cookery book is acceptable - just about.
- Socks, soap or hand cream. Unless they are seriously posh.