But you can prepare by thinking creatively about what your new life will be like and the ways you might adjust to a new routine. You can prepare your child too. They'll be much happier if they know the basics of looking after themselves.
However, the main thing now is to shift your focus away from your child and back on to you. To explore what you really like doing, and discover what truly fulfils you.
- Think about the times you're likely to miss your child the most, and make a plan to fill the gap: listen to a podcast, phone a friend, meet someone.
- Make a list of stuff you know will cheer you up when you're down
- Plan treats for the week after they've left - the more self-indulgent the better
- Look into courses that interest you.
- Sit down with your partner and make a list of stuff you'd like to do together over the next year. Don't think 'He/she wouldn't like line dancing/birdwatching/ going to the footie. You might be surprised.
- Book a fabulous holiday and weekends away