HOW TO BUY THE PERFECT EMPTY NEST PRESENT
Empty nesters have spent years thinking about other people - now it's time to focus on themselves and what they really like. Go for something for them - not for the kitchen or garden. And the more self-indulgent the better!
FOR EMPTY NEST MUMS:
- Anything luxurious and totally indulgent is perfect - a big bunch of beautiful flowers, a bottle of champagne.
- Her favourite perfume.
- A gift voucher for a massage or manicure.
- Nail polish.
- Silk underwear.
- Music to dance to
- A great empty nester novel like Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout (also on DVD) or Joanna Trollope's Second Honeymoon.
FOR EMPTY NEST DADS AND MUMS:
- A gift voucher to try something new - a riding lesson? a writing course? Dancing lessons? Empty nesters are keen to try new activities - but they often appreciate a nudge in the right direction. So a book or voucher are great ideas. http://www.creativebreaks.co.uk has Christmas vouchers for a variety of courses.
- An inspiring travel guide, like 'Make the Most of Your Time on Earth - 1000 Ultimate Travel Experiences' (Rough Guides)
- A classic empty nester novel like David Nicholl's brilliant 'Us' or Jonathan Franzen's Freedom
- 'Mamma Mia' on DVD - OK it's a cheesy old chestnut but it's very cathartic. Grown men weep when Meryl sings 'Slipping through my fingers' to her departing daughter.
- Two photograph albums - one for nostalgic family pics, the other for the adventures ahead.
- Anything too worthy or too useful
- Shapeless fleecy PJs or slippers shaped like bunnies.
- Oven gloves. A cookery book is acceptable - just about.
- Socks, soap or hand cream. Unless they are seriously posh.